Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My female, spayed, 12.5 year old golden lab has a lump

Customer Question

My female, spayed, 12.5 year old golden lab has a lump (walnut sized) next to her anus - it's right next to the base of her tail. Her anus and nearby area is black. She seems "fine" but is licking it a lot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ginger
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?
Customer: No other symptoms. She is eating/ drinking / peeing/ pooping/
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.It sounds to me like your dog may be suffering from really full anal glands, that are on the verge of abscessing.All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normlly, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed.There's a great article on them here: . As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps. Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: . Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area. I hope this helps.