How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16088
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a three year old puggle who ingested a mushroom and

Customer Question

I have a three year old puggle who ingested a mushroom and has toxic poisoning. His enzyme count was seriously elevated but after 3 days in hospital they have started to reduce. The count is still very high at around 800. What are the odds of liver failure? Thank you.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.Do you know what kind of mushroom it was?I assume they've got him on fluids and are monitoring his blood work?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They were not sure of mushroom type. Yes, fluids and blood work. He has started eating and is in good spirits. Just wondering of his chances of survival from another source.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.The liver is an amazing thing because of the way it can regenerate, even after it's been damaged through injury, illness or even ingestion of a toxin, so even though his levels are high, I would expect to see them start to get back to normal in time.Of course, every dog is different, so it's hard to say for sure, but as a young dog who is otherwise healthy, I would expect him to recover from this.Here's a great site that discusses the way the liver can regenerate here: hope this helps.

Related Dog Questions