Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have a three year old puggle who ingested a mushroom and

Customer Question

I have a three year old puggle who ingested a mushroom and has toxic poisoning. His enzyme count was seriously elevated but after 3 days in hospital they have started to reduce. The count is still very high at around 800. What are the odds of liver failure? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.Do you know what kind of mushroom it was?I assume they've got him on fluids and are monitoring his blood work?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They were not sure of mushroom type. Yes, fluids and blood work. He has started eating and is in good spirits. Just wondering of his chances of survival from another source.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.The liver is an amazing thing because of the way it can regenerate, even after it's been damaged through injury, illness or even ingestion of a toxin, so even though his levels are high, I would expect to see them start to get back to normal in time.Of course, every dog is different, so it's hard to say for sure, but as a young dog who is otherwise healthy, I would expect him to recover from this.Here's a great site that discusses the way the liver can regenerate here: hope this helps.