Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Our Alaskan Malamute just had one puppy yesterday morning.

Customer Question

Our Alaskan Malamute just had one puppy yesterday morning. This is very unusual for her. In fact it's very unusual for her to have a litter in the spring. She's had 4 litters but always in November or later. I'm worried the puppy is not eating.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: He is the right size. The Dam is trying to pick her up all the time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: We are going to get some milk and bottles to try and supplement. I'm thinking he might be becoming too weak to suck.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....Did you have any prenatal xrays or ultrasounds done?How is she acting other than only having one pup?Is her belly hard to the touch?Does she seem to have milk available for the pup?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, we did not have x-rays. We never do. We are experienced breeders for over 30 years and have never had x-rays done. She is acting ok. sometimes a little stressed. Her stomach is not hard and she does have milk. He is a strong puppy so I am having a hard time believeing he hasn't eaten for over 24 hours but we did just supplement him.
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
I'm actually going to opt out and see if one of the other experts who have more experience in whelping issues can pick this up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thank you Lisa.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, well I think I need to request my money back. I don't have 24 hours and I've already contacted a vet. Thanks anyway!