Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog passed away this morning and he was only eight years

Customer Question

My dog passed away this morning and he was only eight years old and there's been some things that point to Foul Play either way I'm not sure and I would like to find out how he passed away
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: I am in Burlington County New Jersey and also I'm curious of the price and how I would get him there to wherever they would do the autopsy currently he is in my backyard
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He has been having a stomach problem recently but that's one of the reasons I am thinking Foul Play I found some stuff in the back yard that seemed as though it was placed there for him to eat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. It's always devastating to lose a companion, and that heartbreak is so much worse when you don't know what caused him to die.Any vet can do a necropsy (the animal version of an autopsy), so the best thing to do is to call your normal vet and ask them if they can do it for you. That will help determine what caused his death.As for cost...every clinic is different. At the clinics I've worked in, if the owner is a regular client, then we would do the necropsy for free, but if it was a person whose dog we hadn't seen before, the cost was $75.If this were me, I'd start by calling your own vet. If they're unable to do the necropsy, they'll be able to point you to someone who can.I hope this helps.