Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My Chihuahua has loud gurgling noise in her tummy and hasn't

Customer Question

my Chihuahua has loud gurgling noise in her tummy and hasn't eaten or drunk today except for a piece of pepperoni which I give her daily in the morning with her glucosamine and chondroitin pill. She has never acted like this before. Don't know her age as she was a rescue dog. Probably 6 plus. Do I just take her to the vet in the morning?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Abby and don't know age. Rescue dog, guessing 6 plus.
JA: How old is Abby?
Customer: Guessing over 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Abby. That loud gurgling sound in her abdomen is called borborygmus. That is the intestinal tract having contractions and moving air and liquid to cause that. A lot of times when it is heard, things are upset in the intestinal tract. Something they ate could have thrown things off / just not agreed with her. In her situation, you could see how she does here overnight. She may just need some time and rest to let things settle down. She may start to have nausea. If she starts to vomit, then a trip to your vet would be a good idea. If she isn't eating or drinking by the morning, that would be some more reasons to get her in. Hopefully she can find a quiet spot here tonight and rest and let things settle down.