Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Our 2 year old Welsh Springer s JA: I'll do all I can to

Customer Question

Our 2 year old Welsh Springer s
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Our 2 year old Welsh Springer Spaniel fractured her elbow at the joint were the humorous meet. We were quoted $2500 for the surgery which is way outside of our budget at this time. They said this is the only option for her needing to surgically pin the bones together for them to heal. Is there another way to approach this?
JA: Where does the Welsh springer spaniel seem to hurt?
Customer: From the elbow upward. She is currently in a splint that was put on when we took her in for x-rays.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No, other than the leg was hanging very limply and some minor swelling.
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: The foot is fine, no road rash or anything else on the leg. She fell/jumped out of a golf cart on asphalt.
JA: What is the Welsh springer spaniel's name?
Customer: Cerys
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cerys?
Customer: She has not been spayed as I was hoping to show her and breed her once, maybe twice. She has otherwise been a very active young dog, whose greatest joy is to chase birds although that often ended with her on top of a brick wall and walking the length so that her jump down was only about 3-4 feet down,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.Is your dog a hunting dog or does she work in any other way?Is she overweight?How did she break the leg?