Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 10 year old Golden retriever. Today we find out

Customer Question

My dog is 10 year old Golden retriever. Today we find out few bumps under lower lid of one eye and big red lesion next to it. what it can be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Can you upload a photo(s) of these bumps to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the pictures
Thank you. A bacterial blepharitis - inflammation of the eyelid - that may be due to a prmary bacterial infection or may be secondary to an underlying condition such as a parasitic, allergic, autoimmune disease, or leishmaniasis (rare) is most likely. Because there's a focal infection (pyoderma) on the side of Anna's head as well, I suspect that she's an allergic dog who has excoriated her face and head and the infection is secondary to an allergic dermatitis. Anna's vet is likely to prescribe a systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin and if Anna is annoying those areas, a low and tapering dose of a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone will be very helpful. An ophthalmic antibiotic/steroid combination ointment for the eyelid will hasten remission.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Anna. How is everything going?