PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

14 year old dobe. Severe arthritis in hind legs and is

Customer Question

14 year old dobe. Severe arthritis in hind legs and is having a very difficult time standing now. I have been using a towel under her abdomen to help her, but still hard. She is on tramadol 25 mg bid and has been for about 1 year. Can I use Prevail (banamine) on her? It is 50 mg/ml and I use in on my goats.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on her paw. It is bilateral.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sparkle.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sparkle?
Customer: Slender; healthy other than arthritis and had 2 surgeries for spiral/spindle
cell carcinoma. She still has lumps that are questionable. She is under a veterinarian's care. Heartworm/parasite free.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

Is Sparkle currently on any NSAID like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Meloxicam?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is on tramadol 25 mg bid; was on prednisone 5 mg bid

Thank you for the additional information. I was not signed on when you replied.

It would be worthwhile to do two things here:

1) Get her started on canine safe NSAIDs
2) Increase her dosage of tramadol if she is uncomfortable. She's on a very low dose right now for a dog her size.

Banamine is very rarely used on dogs and when it is it's off label. Alas, it's not a medication that can be given long-term. It's typically used as a single injection that lasts 24 hours. After the single injection, it's usage is discontinued.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in to see how Sparkle is doing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She continued to worsen through the day and Sunday night. (it was a shame I could not receive your response in a timely manner due to server problems; as indicated on one of my replies); I took her to my vet at 8 am this morning. She is giving her antibiotics and steroids. The thought was that it might be arthritis and lyme disease.

I'm sorry to hear that you were unable to access my response, but I am glad to hear that she is being treated. Has she begun making improvements yet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks; I won't know until 2 pm today when I call for an update.I was charged for two calls ($28.00); I thought it was $19.00); I think this was due to the server problems.

I'll bring this to customer service's attention. Sometimes there are mistakes and CS is happy to fix them. I'll contact them right now.