Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

German shepherd 110 lbs ate two onion rings at lunch! JA:

Customer Question

German shepherd 110 lbs ate two onion rings at lunch!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max 4 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: no he's in good shape otherwise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now this would thankfully be a very small dose of onion for a dog Max's size. Therefore, we'd not be overly worried here. We could see some stomach upset (ie appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea), but would not expect the more worrying signs of high dose onion toxicity (anemia days later from the onion toxin rupturing red blood cells).Therefore, in Max's situation, we need only monitor him. As well, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, this is a small dose for a dog Max's size (especially since there isn't actually much onion in an onion ring). So, we'd just want to monitor, offer a light diet, and would expect nothing more then stomach upset if anything here for your lad. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, I'll monitor him directed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.All the best to you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you . Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet