Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My adult Boxer who is 7 1/2 yrs old, has a broken claw & the

Customer Question

My adult Boxer who is 7 1/2 yrs old, has a broken claw & the quick is hanging out. I put some antibiotic cream on it & bandaged it, this was last night. I don't know how she did it, as she is an inside dog & likes to be inside most of the time. But I need to cut her nails & buff them so they aren't rough. (not the paw where the claw is damaged). Every time I try to cut her claws (I have a very good dog claw cutter) & I make sure not to cut the quick! However its a battle trying to cut her claws as she gets anxious every time I do it. Do you think if I gave her 2 1/2 mg of Valium half an hour before I cut them, it will calm her down so I can cut them without her struggling. I would take her to our Vet but they aren't open till tomorrow. She is a very placid dog (but great Guard dog), but wouldn't hurt a flea. she befriends everyone I am friends with, has never bitten anyone, nor even growled at my 4 grandchildren. But I need to cut her claws today as they need doing & when I asked the Vet a few times ago. the person who did it, didn't do a good job, as Bonnie my Boxer doesn't like her nails cut!!!! please can you help me? Also she has always suffered with Dermatitis on all 4 paws, under her chin, & in her ears. When I take her to the Vet they give her antibiotic tabs, Macrolone tabs, + I give her "Blackhawk" dry food in the morning, & Pedigree tin food at night. the Vet said not to give her beef, chicken or anything with Wheat in it. She likes her tin food at night, but I cant afford the expensive stuff the Vet recommends as I'm on a pension & cant afford it. The "Blackhawk" dry food for 20kg is $120.00. Hoping you can help me for Bonnielass's sake???? I love her dearly & she has slept with me every night since I got her when she was 8 weeks old & we've never spent 7 night apart ever. But she chews at the dermatitis so much that its caused so much blood on all of my sheets & I cant get the blood out!!!! Hoping you can help???? Thanking You Most Sincerely, Joyce.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: ITS NOT ABOUT "LETHARGY", I DIDNT MENTION THE WORD, COULD YOU PLEASE READ ALL OF MY MESSAGE, ITS ABOUT CUTTING HER NAILS & DERMATITIS, THANKING YOU JOYCE.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: I TOLD YOU IN MY 1ST MESSAGE PEARL, ITS "BONNIELASS"
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How much does Miss Bonnie weigh?
2) Has your vet discussed any antihistamine therapy for the dermatitis? Has this worked in the past for you?