Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My scottish terrier has eaten blood and bone fertaliser and

Customer Question

My scottish terrier has eaten blood and bone fertaliser and has been coughing and just bringing up bile
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your Scottish terrier will be able to digest that. What is the Scottish terrier's name and age?
Customer: Angus his is 7 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angus?
Customer: We love him.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Angus ate some blood and bone fertilizer and is vomitingMost typical fertilizer product ingredients are not truly toxic. Typical ingredients in a fertilizer include high levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash, all of which can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects.The more he ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see.Calcium without vitamin D is not well absorbed in mammals.Since he seems to have an upset stomach to settle his stomach you might want to give an acid reducer. At home you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help him feel better. They are quite safe and can be given for several days if need be. I would with-hold food for several hours, offering him small amounts of water and seeing how he does.If she seem better starting tomorrow morning you can feed a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 boiled, very lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days.That should be all you need to do.And of course hide the fertilizer from him! Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy.If he is especially sensitive and you see significant stomach upset (lots of vomiting and diarrhea) that even acid reducers and a bland diet don't control then he may need to see his veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids.Please let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****