Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog was fine and outside playing. She then started to act

Customer Question

Dog was fine and outside playing. She then started to act strange. She is shaking and ticking her tail. Doesn't want to be picked up. She won't drink or eat anything. She won't look at us either when we talk to her. It's almost like she has done something wrong but it has been over an hour and she still is acting very strange. She is sprawled out on the concrete floor just shaking
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.What is her breed and age?Did you hear her cry in pain?Is she able to walk on her own?Any areas of pain or swelling on her?What color are her gums?If you press into her abdomen from both sides at the same time, is she painful or uncomfortable?Any pain if you flex and extend all the joints in her legs, starting at the toes and going to the hips?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Chihuahua
1.5 years old
Haven't heard anything from her
She walks around hunkered down in circles when she is approachedgums are pinkish red
She showed no signs of discomfort when those things were done. She just doesn't want to b held
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the information. She may have injured one of her legs or her back, but I would expect to see some pain when the affected joint is flexed and extended or some difficulty walking. My thought is that she got stung or bitten by an insect. That can cause some pain and make them scared for a while. I would try to distract her with something she likes. If it is a walk, get her collar and leash out or try her favorite treat. Something that will distract her may help. If she is reluctant, I would monitor her to see if she improves or gets worse. There isn't anything else that makes me concerned about a potential emergency at this point, but if she is not better in an hour, getting worse at any time or starts swelling, vomiting, having bloody stool or seems to have abdominal pain; I would get her seen by a vet immediately. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm concerned with the fact she was in the garage. She isn't known for eating anything more. Than paper but what signs would I look for if she did lick like oil or something? And how long would insect bites or stings last ? That way I know when to call it and take her to a vet
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
If you notice any vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain or continued lack of appetite (through tomorrow morning); I would be concerned she ate or licked something. Look in her mouth if she will let you to see if you may see any residue from something she ate or licked. I would expect an insect bite or sting to start getting better in a couple hours. It may still be a little sore, but she should feel better. Just look for any swelling anywhere or increasing pain with a particular area. Let me know if you have further concerns. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I lifted her tail. And on the sides of her rectum it looks like little bulges. Is that normal?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
It can be if her anal glands are full. Anal glands can get infected and even abscess, which can be very uncomfortable, but I wouldn't expect it to cause acute signs like this. Watch her for any licking back there or scooting her rear end. That may signal if there is a problem with her anal glands. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there anything we can try and give her to maybe help flush her system ? She won't even lick ice. I just tried to give her a small piece of cookie she sniffed it and isn't interested
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Not sure what you would be trying to flush out, but the only thing that will truly flush the system is putting them on intravenous fluids. There isn't a pill or anything you can give them for that. Wish there was something that easy. Even with the fluids, you would have to modify it for the specific problem that is going on. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't know if her Amal glands swollen meant maybe she was backed up or something. We have had to pull string and paper out b4.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
No. The anal glands are two sacs on either side of the anus. They secrete a substance that is used in marking, but impaction there doesn't affect the colon. If they are having some gastrointestinal issues, it may affect the anal glands, but that is usually if they are not having normal stools to help express the glands when they defecate. Hope that makes sense. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John