PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 8 month old puppy went into the pond and came out with

Customer Question

My 8 month old puppy went into the pond and came out with half of a dead fish. I'm sure he ate some. What should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bear. He is Aussie doodle
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: He's normal in every over way and healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How long ago did this happen? 2) Any vomiting or diarrhea since?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It happened in the last ten minutes. No vomiting or anything yet
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.
Typically the worst we see with an ingestion of this type is vomiting and diarrhea. I would go ahead and start him on a bland diet of boiled rice and chicken breast to last for 3-5 days and hopefully keep his stomach calm during this time. If you see any vomiting, you can give 0.5mg/pound of body weight of famotidine (pepcid) every 12-24 hours as needed for nausea. If the vomiting persists, you'll need to see your vet for an injectable anti-emetic to help break the cycle of vomiting. The bland diet will also help to prevent diarrhea that may be associated with the ingestion of the dead fish. It's my hope that since he did not eat the whole fish and you were able to get it away from him quickly that you won't see any effects from this. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Hi, JACustomer. Checking in to see how Bear is doing today.