Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog has heartworm and I was supposed to get her checked

Customer Question

My dog has heartworm and I was supposed to get her checked our today but had a flat tire so I had to reschedule tomorrow. I think she may also have tape worm. Today I saw a flat, 1/2 inch white slug looking thing in her stool. She now whimpers when I touch her stomach and back legs. She's been sleeping all day and more lethargic than usual. She seems off.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Josie, she's about 8 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Josie?
Customer: She took doxycilian for 28 days. She just finished. Sh has some arthritis.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....Is she eating/drinking/urinating/defecating normally?What time is your appointment tomorrow?When did Josie stop the Doxycycline?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She stopped doxyciyine last Wednesday. She has been. Eating and drinking normally. She really hasn't showed any of this until today. She walked down my stops really slow. Didn't show any umph to her steps at all. She does short whimpers when touched. She's been sleeping all day. I had an appointment today but I couldn't make it due to flat tire this morning so I rescheduled it for next week. It's just for heartworm treatments. I haven't scheduled an appointment for this yet.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She passes stools and urinates fine still.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry. I didn't mean reschedule tomorrow I meant next week.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.As a general rule, we tend to look for the 'big 4' when deciding how to address an illness....if a dog is eating, drinking, urinating, defecating normally, and since she only started acting this way today, if this were me, I would just keep an eye on her and see how she's doing tomorrow. If she becomes more lethargic, acts more painful or stops eating/drinking/urinating/defecating, then you should have her seen by an emergency vet...just to be on the safe side. If you're not sure where one is, you can go to: and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.If she's doing better tomorrow, then you can just keep your appointment that you already have scheduled. Make sure you bring them a fresh fecal sample so they can determine if she does have tapeworms and can get her on the right medication to get it cleared up.Hopefully this is just her having an off day, and she'll be feeling a bit better tomorrow.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?