Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

She has been in kidney failure. I am wrestling with the

Customer Question

She has been in kidney failure. I am wrestling with the decision to put her down or let her go at home.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Angela is either 13 or 14. After iv fluids and nourishment lasT monday, her BUN was 10u and kidney was 6.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Angela?
Customer: She has refused food for 5 days. Up until today she was drinking water and urinating on her own. Now we are using a dropper.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Although the only person who can really make the decision to euthanize your pet is you, I think the biggest thing you can factor in is quality of life. If your pup is in pain that you cannot control or alleviate, if your pup no longer does any of the things she likes to do, then that is the point in time where you must consider that not forcing the animal to linger on is a kinder choice.I think that it comes down to is trying to put the dog's comfort above your own pain of loss. 13 or 14 is a very good age for a dog to reach so you have done very well by her getting her there. At some point you may find the website http://www.petloss.com/ and the rainbow bridge story some comfort. Hardest thing in the world about pets is that no matter how long they live its really never long enough, but making this decision for your beloved pet is the ultimate act of kindness...to end their suffering in spite of the pain and hurt it will cause you to lose her. I hope this helps.