PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My beagle ate 3-4 bagels that were moldy and a a small piece

Customer Question

My beagle ate 3-4 bagels that were moldy and a a small piece of a Nutella donut from the garbage
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: Tommy and he is 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tommy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When were these eaten? 2) Any vomiting or change in stools thus far? 3) Any pertinent medical history to share?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1) probably early this morning we were sleeping
2) there was funny stool but we re not sure if it was before or after he ate the food
3) no
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.
Typically with donuts and bagels we could expect to see a GI upset with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. The abnormal stool that you have already seen may well have been due to the ingestion. We do become concerned with mold ingestion, however, as it can make dogs gravely ill. The vomiting and diarrhea could also be expected from a mold ingestion, but we become concerned if the dog who consumed it experience other symptoms, as well, such as seizures, difficulty walking, coma, etc. If you see any of these symptoms, do not delay and have Tommy seen immediately at a veterinary facility that is open at that time. More info here: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/mycotoxin/It would not hurt to start Tommy on a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken breast to help prevent a further GI upset. It may also help prevent worsening of diarrhea. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Good morning, JACustomer. How is Tommy doing this morning?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy