Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He just laying down not eating n hes gums are cold JA: I'm

Customer Question

he just laying down not eating n hes gums are cold
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pinto five months wat vet
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pinto?
Customer: Might. Of pooped blood im petting him alot seems to be responding
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has he had these signs?Are those cold gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Was the stool diarrhea? How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?Is he eating and drinking? Can he at least keep water down?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Is he vaccinated?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i gave him a pnicillin pill earlier an im going to feed him pedialite wita dropper he holds liguid give me solutins gamn it not vaccinated
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have to say that I am quite concerned about Pinto. If he is so collapsed that he is cold, this suggests hypothermia and possible low blood sugar. Therefore, if you have not already, he may need to be put onto a heating pad (monitoring him closely to avoid overheating of course). As well, since your he is so collapsed, we need to boost that blood sugar as well. To do so, you can rub a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into his and hopefully perk him up for us. If he doesn’t, then we want him to your local ER vet urgently. The reason is because these little ones have very small body reserves and even benign health issues can cause rapid deterioration if we aren’t proactive. And I would say that he is even more at risk if he has been passing bloody stool since this raises worries of Parvo, Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis, Distemper, bacterial infection (ie Camplyobacter, Salmonella, etc) or parasitic issues (Crypto, Coccidia, Giardia, etc). All of these can require very specific treatment +/- hospitalization to help them recovery. And I have to warn you that very few of the above are sensitive to Penicillin. Therefore, with all this in mind, it’d be ideal to have him seen at this stage. His vet can determine which issue is present here and start appropriate treatment to clear it. As well, if he is dehydrated, fluid can be given via IV or under his skin (which is ideal since otherwise you'd need to be giving that Pedialyte at a daily dose of 48ml per kilogram of his weight plus an amount to match his loses in diarrhea). And if he is still cold, his vet can take steps to actively warm him and give him the best chance of recovering and surviving what sounds like his body struggling to keep him going against this ongoing infection. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )