Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is panting and his nose is hot he is giving off heat

Customer Question

My dog is panting and his nose is hot he is giving off heat with his body. He has been itching his back for over a week and we have been giving him a bath every other day to help,but it has not helped.. his breathing per minute is 72. At resting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hammer, he is 3 yrs. Old and weighs, 15 pds.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hammer?
Customer: Do you think she would want me to try and take his temperature? He is my granddog. I am baby sitting
JA: I'm sorry that Hammer is feeling poorly. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) What flea prevention is being used on Hammer and how often is it applied? 2) When was the last application?3) Any scratching of his abdomen and neck, or licking of his paws?4) Where on his back is he itchy, above his tail? sides? 5) Is he taking any regular medication? 6) What breed of dog is he? 7) If you are able to obtain a rectal temperature, that may be helpful.