Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

I found out that my dog is lactating from 2 of her teats.

Customer Question

Hi, i found out that my dog is lactating from 2 of her teats. but the rest are not. and i dont think she is pregnant
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she has had an allergic reaction once due to an insect bite
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because your girl is lactating even though you don't believe she is pregnant. I think that she is experiencing a false pregnancy.This can occur after a normal heat cycle, even without a male being anywhere near her.This is because hormonal changes in a dog are very similar whether they are bred or not.In a pregnant dog the female's hormones fall off and the pups respond with their own hormones which leads to delivery.In a nonpregnant dog there just isn't any pup stimulation. But some dog's bodies get confused and they feel like they are pregnant.They will often pick a toy to mother, may even build a nest and produce milk. We do know that if a bitch's mother had false pregnancies then she is likely to have them as well. And once they have one false pregnancy they are likely to have one with every heat cycle where a successful breeding doesn't take place.It doesn't mean that she isn't fertile or that there are hormonal problems with her. She could be successfully bred on her next heat if you wanted to.If you aren't going to breed her then I do recommend spaying her to avoid subsequent false pregnancies. Spaying her at this point won't change things now as the hormones already produced and circulating in her body are the problem. Her milk production will change naturally as her hormone levels decrease and if she doesn't lick her teats. Milk in dogs is produced on demand. So as long as she licks them they will produce milk. You can place an elizabethan collar on her so she cannot reach herself to lick, then the milk should dry off. But spaying her after this false pregnancy will prevent further episodes.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****