PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog has been sick, vomiting clear liquid, dry heaves,etc

Customer Question

my dog has been sick, vomiting clear liquid, dry heaves,etc for two days what should I do to make him more comfortable. I realize whatever he has must run its course im not letting him drink.he wont eatand he is diabetic
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Al. Thanks for your question. Is treatment is Rocky receiving for the diabetes regularly? And what is being done currently?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he gets insulin after he eats twice daily
Thank you for the additional information. There may be a bit of a misconception here that whatever is nausea must run its course. In fact, quite often medications like famotidine, cerenia and others can stop symptoms entirely and allow a pet resume his or her normal activities such as eating, drinking, etc. In Rocky's situation, it would be most ideal to have him examined most especially if he's still receiving insulin. Without being able to hold down food, the risk for hypoglycemia and diabetic crisis is increased because of the insulin being given. It would be most ideal for him to be started on injectable nausea medications but also to have blood work checked to see where his glucose sits. Failing this, famotidine (regular pepcid) can be given at an amount of 0.5mg per pound of body weight. This dosage can be given every 12-24 hours to help with nausea. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?
Checking in to see how Rocky is doing.