PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 14 year old doxi has been diagnosed with pancreitis and

Customer Question

My 14 year old doxi has been diagnosed with pancreitis and has not eaten for 2 days and has had no water for one day is this normal? The vet has prescribed id low fat food from science diet, he ate some on Wed but not since then
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kobe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kobe?
Customer: She did all the blood work-up and did the test for pancreitis and all looked normal on wednesday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Was Kobe hospitalized or are you guys attempting home treatment? 2) Any medications being given currently? 3) Any medications administered Wednesday at the vet's office injectably? Any SQ fluids?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Kobe was not hospitalized, the only thing she prescribed was the dog food. He is not on any meds and they did not give him any at the vets on Wed.
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check my e-mail in 15 min
Pancreatitis is typically an illness that causes quite a bit of GI discomfort and we can also see nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Most veterinarians choose to treat pancreatitis with antibiotics, pain medication, anti-nausea medications, etc. It's almost always recommended that the pet be hospitalized on IV fluids and the pet fasted for a few days to allow the pancreas to rest. I'm not sure why your vet didn't mention this or trying any medications. If you wish to continue trying home therapy, I would ask your vet to start at least injectable cerenia to help with nausea and injectable/oral buprenorphine to help with discomfort. Metronidazole may also help. Kobe will need to have an appetite before he will eat the food that's being recommended and these medications will help get him to that point. As an adult, a few days of not eating shouldn't hurt him but SQ fluids may be indicated if he beings showing signs of being dehydrated. There's more info here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pancreatitis-in-dogs/851 Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.