Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 2 year old Rottweiler was recently diagnosed with MMM and

Customer Question

Hi, my 2 year old Rottweiler was recently diagnosed with MMM and has been on steroids for 3 days now. He's responded great to the steroids and has went from needing to be syringe fed to already being able to chew hard food again and play with his toys, the vet told me that some blood in his stool or even throwing up blood was a possibility because he was on pain pills the week prior to being on steroids, so when I woke up the day after his first two doses with blood on my floor I didn't think to much of it, he was acting like he felt fine so I assumed he had thrown up a little bit and was feeling better, didn't notice any blood anywhere yesterday but today I've figured out that he was actually bleeding from his nose Tuesday night and hadn't thrown up because I noticed drops of blood on my floor again and could see that it's actually coming out of his nose, which wasn't something the vet told me could happen. Just wanted to know if this could be something serious or if it's a normal possible side affect from the steroids. Thanks so much in advance for your help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
This post appears to be a duplicate of the one I just answered about bleeding from the nose/immunosuppressive dose of prednisone. I can't mark it as such and so please contact***@******.*** to have this removed if you wish.