PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog has diabetes and cataracts. Are there drops to help

Customer Question

My dog has diabetes and cataracts. Are there drops to help his vision. He is starting to get scared and vision is decreasing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hi, JaCustomer. At this time, there are no drops available that will remove a cataract. Surgery is the only option we have available, honestly. Secondary complications can develop from cataracts and a non-steroidal drop can be used in the eyes in most cases, to alleviate the discomfort. That said, it won't help with the decreasing vision. Last I heard, there was research being done by UC Davis on an eye medication that was helping to reduce cataracts but that medication is not yet available. Perhaps sometime in the near future. More info here: Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Checking in to see if there are any other questions I can answer for you on this topic.