PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He ate some rotting daffodil bulbs JA: I'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

he ate some rotting daffodil bulbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** is 7 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hunter?
Customer: he cann't hardly walk
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When did hunter consume these? 2) Have you seen any vomiting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he did vomite but I did some more checking and what he ate was some snail bait
Neither of these are good. To start, daffodil bulbs are toxic to dogs and cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, coma and death. Snail bait is metaldehyde which is also toxic. More info here on snail bait ingestion: http://www.gladesvillevet.com.au/pages/newsletters/newsletter/article.php?idArticle=19053And daffodil ingestion: http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/healthtips/daffodilpoisoning.htmThe consumption of one or both of these may be enough to cause death. I would waste no time in getting your companion to a vet's office for treatment. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he ate this around 8pm late nite
Thanks for the additional information. There's no way to remove this from his system now. Treatment will involve stabilization and treating his symptoms. The links above give details on what treatment protocols are typically used. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. Depending on what is eaten, we can often induce vomiting to keep the pets from absorbing it. We have roughly 2 hours to do this in most cases. Since your boy ate this around 12 hours ago, it's too late to induce vomiting. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Hi, Customer. How is Hunter doing today?