Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is extremely uncomfortable, he has been uncontrollably

Customer Question

My dog is extremely uncomfortable, he has been uncontrollably licking and gulping for about 45 minutes and won't settle. He was given minocycline by the vet this afternoon.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Poor lad!Based on the signs you are reporting, it does sound like the antibiotic is causing him to be quite nauseous. This isn't uncommon to see in dogs and we may need to ring his vet once they are open for an alternative that his sensitive stomach can tolerate better. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** this for him, as long as he isn't vomiting (since it can be hard to give oral medications If they are), we can try him with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Once he is more settled, you can try him with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Finally, when it is time for his next dose, you can pre-treat with the antacid to try to prevent nausea from this antibiotic. Though if that doesn't help or he keeps showing these signs, we'd again have to stop the Minocycline and speak to his vet about an alternative that won't upset his stomach as this one is. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything we can do for him this evening to make him more comfortable? He seems to have slowed the licking but won't settle in his crate (which he usually loves). We are in California so it is 3 am here and the vet doesn't open for quite some time.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,As I noted above, you can certainly start him on an one of those over the counter antacids to counter the nausea signs you are seeing. Any Walgreens or even grocery story carry these. If he is quite small, use Pepcid. Though if he is a larger dog, you can use Zantac. Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a 9 month old pup and is 45lbs. We just took him outside again, he was not sick but he was frantically eating grass. Is it okay to crate him for the night if the licking has subsided?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,Grass eating is another sign of nausea. You can choose to just crate him but with all these nausea signs do consider giving your poor lad an antacid so he can settle. If he is 45lbs, he can have half a Zantac (75mg).Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.