Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is a pomchi 11 months told, just had a litter of

Customer Question

My dog is a pomchi 11 months told, just had a litter of pups. She is not eating and is vomiting clear liquid and foam and and it appears she has bloody diarrhea.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Truscie, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. My primary concern is a post-parturient metritis (uterine infection seen within a few days to weeks following whelping) which can be a dangerous infection requiring hospitalization, IV fluids and antibiotics. The pups are removed from the dam and fed with formula. Her anorexia, vomiting and hemorrhagic diarrhea aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of metritis (you should also see discharge from her vulva if metritis were present) but are serious enough symptoms to have her vet attend to her and advise whether or not she should be allowed to continue nursing. Time is of the essence in these cases and so I encourage your having her attended to at your earliest convenience.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks doctor Salkin, for your response however I've only seen clear and kind of a bubbly white foam type saliva. She stopped feeding on her own this morning I've been giving her Pepto Bismol and Pedialyte and she's been taking that pretty well now she's vomiting maybe once every 4-5 hours and so far no diarrhea. I picked up some diapers for her just in case and formula for the pups. Thanks for your assistance. I will take her to the vet once my husband gets home. Have a blessed day!
Thank you for the good update. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** over in the night. Have a blessed day .
Oh my. My condolences for your loss. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.