Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He was diagnosed with a congestive heart disease a few months

Customer Question

He was diagnosed with a congestive heart disease a few months ago he's been on medication a lot and he's been doing real good but lately he's lost all energy is shaking and he's got real bad breath he's 13 years old is a bulldog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Gage
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gage?
Customer: About 4 days ago dog and he came by and he took off after them is gone for a day or two and since he's back and he just totally out of energy and not himself the shaking and the real bad breath is really got me concerned if that's got something to do with his congestive heart problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm concerned that Gage's halitosis indicates the uremia of kidney insufficiency which commonly arises in conjunction with cardiac insufficiency. His current behavior should prompt having him rechecked by his vet and diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests should be included in his exam. It's best to fast him for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw for the most accurate test results referable to his kidneys. Never restrict water, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you I'm really worried about him he was just no energy lately spent the last two days he's just laying around he gets his Shavers and trimmers and like I said some serious bad breath and it just got to know about him right now and like I said earlier there was a dog in the heat that he strayed off with and stay gone for thirty hours I found him and got him home and he's been like this ever since
He was already weakened by his heart condition and his over-exertion over the last two days is likely to have broke the camel's back. He's in trouble and needs prompt attention to see if we can re-stabilize him. Hopefully just re-initiating his heart meds will suffice but his halitosis suggests that that's not likely. You're quite welcome. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good advise I'll have him back at vet in morning
Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?