Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I'm Jaci and we have a 13 week old puppy who has a swollen

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Jaci and we have a 13 week old puppy who has a swollen lump on his upper jaw. it looks like a tooth infection but he wont let us see it very well. its not real soft kinda firm and doesn't seam to be hurting real bad. He is playing and eating okay.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has it been present?Is there only a lump on one side (since they do have lymph nodes in that area)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its been present since this morning and there is only one lump.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,Now as I am sure you can appreciate when we see any lump on our pets, we do have to consider a range of issues. Still if this is a lump that has suddenly appeared just this morning and with Reilly being so young, then issues like nasty cancers, cysts, and benign growths would all be less likely. Instead, when we consider those lumps that could arise this quickly. So, we’d need to consider trauma induced hematomas (blood blister like lesions), soft tissue swelling, abscesses (though tooth root based ones are uncommon at this age), and insect sting induced allergic reactions. Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try and rule out some of these. To start, if there is any chance of a bee/spider/wasp sting or bite, then we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Furthermore, to reduce swelling with any of these sudden appearing concerns, you can also start warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Now if you use the above, but the lump doesn't settle within 24 hours and since this is a location where we do find single lymph nodes (which can be enlarged in response to infection and some cancers), then it does mean that we need to consider those other issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment. Overall, if this lump is sudden in appearance, we would consider those initial sudden onset concerns. Therefore, since Reilly isn’t sore and this isn’t obviously draining pus, then you can try the above to rule out some of those concerns. Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle or may have been present for longer then a day; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for your wee one. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.