Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have an American bulldog about 6 yrs old. She developed allergies

Customer Question

I have an American bulldog about 6 yrs old. She developed allergies this past winter when I put wood shaving in her house. Also developed diarrhea and I can't stop it. The smell she has is horrible and I have been giving her Benadryl and anti diarrhea medication and nothing helps. I can't afford to take her in and of course she is so skinny and I am afraid we will lose her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bulldog?
Customer: Have cle3aned out her house and that helped for a week and then it all came back.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is***** and I am happy to help. I believe that there could be a correlation between the diarrhea and the allergies, but I will address each issue one at a time. With regard to the allergies, I would be certain that you are administering the Benadryl at the appropriate dose and frequency. One of the biggest reasons for failure of treatment is under dosing and inadequate frequency, as the dose is higher and frequency greater for dogs than it is for people. The dose is 1 mg per pound of body weight. For example, if the dog weighs 50 pounds, then the dose is 50 mg. If the dog weight 75 pounds, then the dose is 75 mg...and so on. I would administer the appropriate dose based on your dog's weight three times daily by mouth every day. This would ideally be done at breakfast, at dinner, and then just before bedtime.With regard to the diarrhea, it is likely that your dog suffers from inflammatory bowel disease. The first thing I would do is make some dietary changes, feeding only boiled chicken and cooked white rice, at a ratio 3 parts rice to one part chicken. In addition, I would purchase a veterinary grade priobiotic to put in his food. Probiotics provide good bacteria to the gut that aid in the digestion process. Continue this regimen until the stools are normal, and once normal, in order to effectively round out your dog's nutrition, I would try to start introducing a very digestible commercial diet...Science Diet Sensitive Stomach Formula is often effective for dogs with IBD.Best regards ***** ***** of luck to you. Thanks you for choosing Just Answer!Dr. Roger