How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16079
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ate a whole Costco double chocolate muffin at 7:45am today JA:

Customer Question

ate a whole Costco double chocolate muffin at 7:45am today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dog's name is ***** ***** old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Paulie?
Customer: about 45lbs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
HI there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question about Paleta and the double chocolate muffin (which, I have to be honest, I wouldn't be able to resist either!)The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.Obviously, Paleta didn't get anywhere near that amount, so I'm not too worried about his eating the muffin. You may see some digestive upset (vomiting and/or diarrhea) but that generally resolves in a few hours or so.Although it's too late to do it now (since it's been several hours and the muffin is out of the digestive tract at this point), for the next time Paleta eats something he shouldn't, it is always better to be safe than sorry, and the safest thing to do is to induce vomiting in your pup. Details on how to make that happen can be found here: I's too late to induce vomiting now....we only do that if it's been an hour or less after the dog ate something they shouldn' if this were me, I'd just keep my eyes open for signs of toxicity. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizing or dying from chocolate. If you see any signs of a problem, then you should have him seen by a vet immediately, but I don't expect you to see a problem here.I hope this helps.