PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a dog that has several bites on his legs from another

Customer Question

I have a dog that has several bites on his legs from another dog. I have been cleaning wounds with soap and water and a karacleanse that I use in home care. And I am putting neosporin on them for now I tried a sorbaban type dressing that I just layed on the wounds to absorb the drainage but he won't leave them on. There is very little drainage now anyway. I had a couple days of clavamox that I have him but I am out. The only thing I have is expired doxycycline would that be acceptable. I would take him to vet and will if I have to but he is so sore I hate to move him. This happened 3 days ago. He is eating and drinking good but wounds feel warm so I am worried. Thanks Angie
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hi Angie, thanks for your question. If there's barely any drainage left, it may be easier to just leave them open. This is how we prefer anyhow so the wounds can breathe. Doxycycline is not the most ideal antibiotic, but you can always use what you have and see your vet if you need something different. Dosing info here: Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Good morning, Angie. How is your companion doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?