PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He's throwing up his undigested food during the night. No other

Customer Question

He's throwing up his undigested food during the night. No other symptoms. Still eating drinking and stools are normal. He is almost 9.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nothing we know of. Unfortunately he has killed 3 possums since Saturday. Not eating them just biting them.he eats grain free food.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ace
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ace?
Customer: He still plays and is active, but seems to smaller than he was. We also have a large yard with a wood fence. Could the possums cause this?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When did the vomiting begin? 2) When was the last time Ace had full panel blood work performed? 3) Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Started Friday or Saturday morning. Hasn't had blood work in about 3/4 years. No his stools are normal.
Thanks. It will take me about 5 minutes to type out a reply for you. Feel free to wait, if you like.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Can u prescribe meds?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also he has allergies
Alas, I am not a prescriber. And licensing laws in the USA require prescribers to perform a hands-on exam in order to prescribe, thus keeping the scope of what can be recommended to OTC medications. That said, there are a few that may help your companion. ~~~~~~ Anytime that a dog has access to a prey item (whether they eat it or not), we can see that a stomach upset can occur. It's likely that there is some blood and fur ingestion even if he's not eating the possums.There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours. If this continues to be a prolonged concern, your vet will likely recommend some blood work to be sure that there isn't an underlying condition causing the vomiting. At 9 year of age, we also have to worry about organ dysfunction, cancer, etc. Once you have this under control, you can move on to finding something that works for his allergies, as well. I wouldn't chance it while dealing with the GI upset as you may not know if a new medication is causing any vomiting. Zyrtec is my favorite for larger dogs and there is a full list of what can be given here as well as the dosages: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/ Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's a large dog. I gave him Pepto bismal earlier around 8. He acts like he's hungry, but I haven't let him eat his usual amout. Have been giving him small amounts during the day. He weighs approximately 65lbs. He takes zertec as well.
If the zyrtec has not worked well for him in the past, you may wish to talk to your vet about Apoquel in the future. https://www.zoetisus.com/bmst-minisite-apoquel/index.aspxI have, personally, not found that pepto works very well in pets. I would opt for the famotidine, given a choice. Since he's already had the pepto this evening, if you see that it hasn't worked by morning I'd switch over to the famotidine. Small amounts frequently are the way to go with a nauseated dog, so you're making the right choices there. Eating too much at one time may cause vomiting. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The zertec works fine. He's horribly allergic to fleas. We have tried everything. Spot on treatment made his hair fall out. Adams flea shampoo is what we use now. We try to live naturally as possible. He loves sweet potatoes, I bake them for him.
I'm glad to hear the zyrtec works well for him. I have found that it works better than most other antihistamines, especially in the larger dogs (who don't typically respond so well to benadryl). I imagine he really likes the sweet potatoes. My pets love them, as well.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do you recommend for his hips? He seems to be getting where its harder for him to get up and down at times. We also rub him down with rosemary oil for dry skin
Are you giving him anything at all currently?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We give him Aleve. I was wondering if people vitamins are ok for him?
Aleve can be toxic to dogs, I would urge you to discontinue that immediately.I really like the benefits offered by glucosamine chondroitin, MSM, green lipped mussel extract, etc. Here's an example of a supplement that has all three: http://www.petsmart.com/dog/hip-joint-health/gnc-ultra-mega-green-lipped-mussel-dog-chewable-tablet-zid36-20079/cat-36-catid-100058
More info here on the risk of toxicity: http://www.vetstreet.com/care/ibuprofen-and-naproxen-toxicity
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We haven't given him any Aleve since it was cold. I have some glucosamine, but its for people. Does that matter?
Nope. You can use the human glucosamine, too. Here are the dosages: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1423
Did you have other questions I could help you with? If not, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Checking in to see how Ace is feeling today.