Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 14 1/2 year old lab has a tumor on his shoulder that

Customer Question

Hi my 14 1/2 year old lab has a tumor on his shoulder that keeps growing is now the size of a watermelon. My vet has monitored it, she does not want to operate as she says he probably will not make it. It is hard as a rock so she cannot try to drain it. She took an Xray and blood test 2 weeks ago and they came out fine. His appetite has been going down for the past couple of months but last week and so far this week he only takes about 10 bites and stops, then he wants to go directly outside to eat grass. He is losing more weight which is not good. He wants to eat but it looks like he has pain once he gets some.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He has been falling down a couple times a day. He looks like he is getting weaker.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience. How can I best help you today? Do you need advice on enticing him to eat? Knowing when it's time to say goodbye?