Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

He will not put pressure on his front left paw. It is not broken.

Customer Question

He will not put pressure on his front left paw. It is not broken. It looks like he cut it as I can only see redness. He has been licking it. I can't see anything stuck in there. But it has been two days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No bleeding. Never bled. We think he cut it when he jumped up on chain fence and cut his paw on the wire on top.
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?
Customer: No. He is very active. Matter of fact, when a dog goes by he forgets his wound and runs on all fours. Then when the dogs passes he is back limping or not using that paw at all.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Toby hasn't been putting any pressure on his left front paw - I'll do my best to help. It's certainly possible that he hurt his foot jumping up on that chain link fence - especially given what you're describing in the redness. Dogs can also get interdigital cysts which can cause significant lameness. An interdigital cyst is an infection deep in the tissues, usually in between the toes. Sometimes these can rupture out the top or bottom of the foot leading to a draining tract and swelling. Most dogs will be sorest right before they rupture and actually feel better after it ruptures and the pressure is relieved. I know that it can be really difficult to look between the toes, but it's worth trying (as long as it's not going to get you bitten) to see if you can identify a wound or other issue. Frequently when I examine dogs in my hospital for limping, the owner thinks it's a paw problem but the vast majority of the time it's another injury like a soft tissue strain or sprain, arthritis, a ligament tear, a pinched nerve in the neck, or in older pets potential bone cancer (please don't be afraid by that one - it's definitely not the most likely case, even though it's the scariest). Another common cause for limping in my area is lyme disease infection, which is transmitted by ticks. Lyme disease infection can cause severe lameness - to the point that owners sometimes think that their pet's leg is broken. It can also cause a high fever and lethargy but doesn't have to. It's important to screen for lyme disease on limping pets in areas where lyme is prevalent because if left untreated, it can also cause kidney failure that is life threatening. Two days of not putting weight on a leg is definitely long enough to merit a trip to the vet for an exam and treatment, though. My suggestion would be to call your vet to get Toby looked so that he can get some appropriate medications and relief.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara