Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a 3 year old German shepard that I am breeding

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old German shepard that I am breeding for the first time. The male I am breeding her with is 6 but has never been bread before so both are inexperienced. She is completely receptive of him but every time they try he never makes it in completely and then she scoots away. We've been trying for 2 days and they still won't make antie. I can tell she's getting tired but she's still willing. She will let me help hold her up but he doesn't seem interested when I do. How can I help them?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jacustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. I've been breeding for over 20 years as well. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. Where are the dogs breeding at? Her home or his?When did she first start bleeding?Is she putting her tail to the side?It sounds like she is allowing him to mount and hump but he isn't connecting. Is that right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She started bleeding on the 2nd of this month. The bleeding slowed way down yesterday so we started trying because she was acting ready. Yes she is putting her tail to the side and allowing him to mount her but no he's not connecting. We are at his place in the back yard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When male is trying and she's allowing the mounting but the male also seems to be getting frustrated after about 30 seconds of trying and then gets off and starts licking the female
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is still bleeding but she's willing accepting the male. It's been 14 days since she started bleeding though. Is it possible she's not ready yet? Even though she's accepting the male?
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. This is pretty normal behavior with inexperienced dogs. In addition, they often do not want spectators. I've found that if you leave them alone and go inside or around the corner and just peak out every 10 minutes or so, they manage to do the deed. If the bleeding just slowed down then she should have at least a few days of being fertile before she is past the fertile stage. Usually the first stage of heat is about 7 day but can be very long so a 14 day first stage is long but still within the range of normal. Let's hope her second stage is at least 7 days or longer. While you may not witness the mating, I would leave them together at least 24 hours or more. Check on them often but try not to be obvious or where they can observe you. I have waited 4 hours outside before only to go inside and the dogs achieve a tie within 5 minutes. Often an owners presence will stop the mating process. Often owners will discourage male dogs from mounting other dogs during play and as part of their dominance rituals. This can lead to a dog that hesitates to mount and hump another dog when the owner is around. So you can see how leaving them alone can help the process progress faster. The other option is to leash the female and lead her forward a little around the male and once he is mounted, keep the female from moving forward. Some males will "try" harder if the female is attempting to move away when they are mounting. It is a good sign that she is allowing him to mate and if he does succeed, expect a yelp when he is successful. If you definitely want to ensure she becomes pregnant, you could take them both to your vet and have them perform artificial insemination real quick. Most vets won't charge too much for this service when you have both the male and female there together since they can use the female to tease the male and harvest the sperm and then immediately inseminate the female. One of the vets near me charges $100 for this service but different areas charge varing prices. Many breeders perform this service themselves using items from medical supply houses. Here is an excellent site on this.http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/dog--white_2.htmhttp://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/semeneval/dog.html And purchase kits from here:http://www.equitainer.com/Canine/AIKit.htmhttp://www.pinnaclepetsupply.com/ai-kits.htmhttp://www.camelotfarms.com/other_products.php Here is an artificial insemination video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxXlniylh5g If she was mine, I might go ahead and see if they would breed naturally for this cycle and if she doesn't become pregnant, plan on using artificial insemination for her next cycle. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.