PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 5 month Pomeranian woke up a little tired but still

Customer Question 5 month Pomeranian woke up a little tired but still the day progressed she became a lethargic...she pooped very soft stool in the morning and afternoon (very smelly....light brown).... she only has her first series of shots (2nd series due this May 20th)....she spent most of the day yesterday with my brothers 7 year old dog (she's had all her shots)...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: she's eaten very little today....We just tried given her a little sugared water....she drank a little.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Her name is Lucy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How long have you had Lucy? 2) Who administered her 1st set of vaccinations? 3) Was a fecal performed within the last 8 weeks? 4) Is she being dewormed monthly such as with heart worm prevention or similar? 5) Has there been a change of diet? New treats? Human food? in her diet? 6) Any history of tearing up toys or getting into the garbage?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1)we've had her 3 weeks.
2)north shore animal league
4)she had the dewormed treat like at the vet
5)human food possibly at my parents yesterday but they won't admit it i think
6)she's very curious and that is possible
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.
At her age and with her vaccine/medical history, there are lots of concerns. 1) She could have eaten something she shouldn't have (such a human food, the timing would be right for soft stool if this happened yesterday)2) She could be battling intestinal parasites. 3) This could be a viral concern such as parvo, distemper, etc. Because she is not having any vomiting just yet, I think you'd be safe to try some medications and a bland diet for a few days to see if it helps. If it does, you can be fairly sure she ate something that upset her stomach. If she progresses on to having diarrhea that's more volumous, loose, bloody, vomiting starts, you see profound lethargy, etc. then we would become more concerned with a viral or parasitic concern. Because we don't know if vomiting is impending, I would still go ahead and give a dose of medication to keep her stomach calm. We often see vomiting and diarrhea occur together although it's typically one or the other that begins first. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. Feed in small increments thought the day instead of regular 'larger' meals. If her symptoms persist or worsen, I would expedite a visit to the vet for some diagnostics including a fecal exam, perhaps some blood work, parvo test if she's exhibiting the signs, etc. Assuming this turns out to be a GI upset, injectable medications will likely be given to start and some oral mediation sent home with you to help with any nausea that's present and to help firm the stool. Hopefully this is just a slight stomach upset and the approach to treating it will be simple. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Checking in, JACustomer. How is Lucy doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?