Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

Thanks so much here! My dog 65ish pound hound/mutt

Customer Question

Hi thanks so much for being here! My dog 65ish pound hound/mutt ate most of a cooked pork shoulder bone on saturday. He was okay Sunday but today when i was at work he had several accidents in the house. Very loose stool and some had blood in it. he is outside having difficulty going #2. Thanks for any advice
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your hound will be able to digest that. What is the hound's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is about 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elvis?
Customer: He takes phenobarbitol for seizures which are pretty much controlled as of late. He is maybe a bit chubby but not fat. Thats all i can think of....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow Elvis ate a pork shoulder bone Saturday and has had loose, bloody stools today.Whether to rush him in to be examined and treated depends upon how he is feeling otherwise.The bright red blood indicates bleeding very near his rectum, and may be due to irritation from the bone fragments. Or it could indicate a perforation, which is obviously a much bigger concern. We need to watch him closely for a fever, continued, increased amounts of bleeding, lack of an appetite, a tense painful abdomen and vomiting.If he seems to feel fine otherwise for the next few days he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so any remaining bone pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated anymore and isn't contracting on just bone, and we can help soothe a very irritated intestinal tract.A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.You'll need to check his stools frequently for bone pieces in the next few days.Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally), increased amounts of bleeding, and lethargy.If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.Once his stools are more normal and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****