Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have an 8 yo golden who was 'violated' on a walk (on a leash

Customer Question

I have an 8 yo golden who was 'violated' on a walk (on a leash but we couldn't stop the Belgian Malnois that escaped his yard!). Anyway, quite sure she's pregnant. 36 days since the incident. Guessing her age puts her in the 'high-risk' category. Thankfully though, she easliy had a litter of 11 when she was 2. Glad she's proven her pelvis adequate. Should we expect another large littler or might her age change that? What else should I be concerned with at her age??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.Because Myla is an older girl, the absolute best thing to do is to eliminate all questions of how many pups and have your vet do an ultrasound'll be able to see the number of heartbeats and will know how many pups she's got. You could also wait a couple more weeks and have an x-ray done, where they'll be able to tell you for sure how many puppies to expect.As far as other concerns....older bitches do have a harder time delivering, so once she goes into labor, you're going to want to watch for signs of dystocia...pushing with no success, more than an hour between pups...things of that nature.You'll also need to make sure to feed her a high quality food once she delivers so that she doesn't lose too much weight nursing the pups.Otherwise, it's a normal whelping...just get the testing done at the vet so you know how many puppies to be prepared for.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Myla. How is everything going?