How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16402
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 5 month old puppy just ate a small amount of chocolate brownie,

Customer Question

my 5 month old puppy just ate a small amount of chocolate brownie, what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Alfie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Alfie?
Customer: He's a Cavapoo weighing 5kilos
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.Of course, it is always better to be safe than sorry, and the safest thing to do is to induce vomiting in your pup. Details on how to make that happen can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspxThe best thing to do is give him some peroxide. Then adopt a watch and wait posture. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizing or dying from chocolate, but I definitely don't feel like you're going to have a problem here.I hope this helps!
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa