Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy, who was born March 8, suddenly woke up crying in

Customer Question

My puppy, who was born March 8, suddenly woke up crying in the middle of the night. It appeared that she was in pain and she was walking backwards. Any idea what's going on? I'm JJ BTW and my puppy is Adele.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Adele?
Customer: 2 weeks ago she was pooping blood and lost a lot of weight and was vomiting.I thought it might be parvo. I kept her vibrated abs made sure she was eating. I was with her all night when I was home and she got better. I also worked her a week ago abs after that she started gaining weight and the dehydration is gone. I thought we were out of the woods and then this happened and got me worried. I think that's it 😎
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Any history of falls, slips, or injury?Does she seem sore over her hips, back or back legs?If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?Has she had any stool abnormality?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey stool had been solid finally. I just now remembered that she did get some tissue from the garbage in the bathroom today. I caught her before she got too much but she did get a little bit.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is solid, has she been straining or having any issue passing it?Any tenderness anywhere?Are her gums pink or pale/white?Any breathing changes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her breathing does seem to be quite rapid...her gums are pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Good, I am glad those gums are pink, but would you say she is breathing quicker then 30 breaths in a minute?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
more like 30 times in 30 sec
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Oh dear,That is quite elevated and twice the normal breathing rate for a pup at rest. Though since her gums are pink, we'd assume this is another sign confirming significant discomfort (as opposed to issues with the heart, lungs, blood levels, etc). Now with Adele is appearing painful, we do need to tread with care. Backwards walking, while it looks odd, tends to be a behaviour in dogs trying to get away from a source of discomfort. Usually it will be focused in the hind end or belly, though on occasion we will see them do this when they don't like collars or things involving the neck (less likely with her sudden signs).Now with everything in mind, its possible that tissue ingestion (or if she got anything else) could trigger her discomfort. Still, she sounds a bit too sore for a bit of tissue to be to blame. Therefore, while we could offer a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese or egg) with a fiber supplement added (ie spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to help push the tissue through; we may need to think about having a check as soon as her vet is open. If she were my patient, I would actually see her now to err on the side of caution plus to get some injectable pain relief on board. Of course, further to that would depend on which issue was present since any blockage (especially if she ate anything else, has a high worm burden, or even has had her gut telescope onto itself, etc) may need surgical intervention to settle for her.Overall, Adele's signs sound too severe for a tissue ingestion alone. So, we really need to be careful here and with her double normal respiratory rate on top of her pain signs, I do feel it'd be best to have her seen at this point for gut safe pain relief and to pinpoint the trigger for this so we can address it properly. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ orwww.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will take her first thing . I have a great vet. Thank u for your time, Dr. B 😎
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.I do think that is best for Adele given the signs and her lack of clues to what she has been up to to cause this.Best wishes for you both,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She's doing great! No more pain 😎. Thank Dr B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome & thank you for the update,I am very glad to hear that she is doing well. :)Best wishes and a great day to you both,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------** I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )