PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She is throwing up, and not wanting to eat, which she has to

Customer Question

She is throwing up, and not wanting to eat, which she has to do in order for me to give her insulin. I'm wondering if she can go the night till I can get her to a vet tomorrow? I live in Utah, and it is 10:16. her regular dose is 8:30 at night. I have given her beef bones as a treat for the last three days (my bad) they were cooked, now I'm scared to death. I gave her pepto at 9:30 and she has only thrown up small amounts of bile about 20 mins ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no just her bone I gave her earlier
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: also she had her morning shot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When was her last meal? 2) When did vomiting begin?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she ate this morning at 9 am and threw up at about 7: 45 ish
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry that is 745 pm. she was fine all day
We try very hard not to skip doses of insulin, but if you give her a dosage after she has not eaten you risk winding up in the ER tonight with a very low blood sugar. For that reason, I would skip tonight's dosage and have her seen first thing tomorrow morning. A little warning with cooked bones (even large ones): they can splinter and major GI problems. The meat from the bones can also cause severe GI upsets including pancreatitis and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Some dogs will require hospitalization for such conditions. I hope that is not the case for your girl, but it's worth mentioning for future reference. Bones should be avoided, if at all possible. Your vet may want to go ahead and run a full panel of blood work to be sure that this ingestion has not caused symptoms with will require hospitalization.Hopefully they can give her medication for nausea and she'll be back to normal soon. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Checking in to see how your girl is doing today.