PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Yelps when toutched JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems

Customer Question

yelps when toutched
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Very sensitive to touch. Loudly yelps when we try to pick her up. Yelped when I scratched her chin, not all the time.Back of neck toucjing gets same reaction.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nichole. ^ lb toy poodle
JA: How old is Nichole?
Customer: 8 going on 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nichole?
Customer: HAving a hard time pooping. Just real skiny amall turds.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) When did this begin? 2) When did your concern with her fecal production begin? 3) Is she still jumping up onto furniture, off of the steps when going outside, etc? 4) Eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Began 4 0r 5 days ago. Fecal concern started today when I noticed her straining to evacuate. She hesitates to jump off of furniture. Will still jump up but not like normal. Will go outside. Eating and drinking normal.
Behind neck, under chin and chest area are the worst areas. No vomiting..
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me about 10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
A concern that we commonly see in aging, smaller breed dogs are the propensity to deal with neck and back issues. With her yelping when she's touched, when she's picked up, being unwilling to jump down off of furniture and obvious tenderness in the neck, chin and chest, it sounds like this is precisely what she's battling. Additionally, sometimes these problems can also cause a dog not to want to use the bathroom so they will hold it as long as they can before they absolutely must void. This may have something to do with the fecal concerns, as well. We can see that this can be due to muscle spasms alone or a more concerning condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. We can see anything from tenderness in the neck right down to a dog who is entirely paralyzed in their back end. I would urge you to have a physical exam performed and some neck and spinal x-rays obtained. With this, your vet will be able to tell if there are any abnormalities in the vertebra in the back or if there are abnormalities within the 'disks' or spaces between the vertebra. Most likely, your vet will place Nichole on canine-safe NSAIDs, pain meds and muscle relaxers to be used along side cage rest. It's very important to know it's easy for a dog with previous neck/back problems to cause more problems in their future. Often, we see this happening when jumping down off of the couch, off of a bed, etc. It's highly recommended that the usage of custom stairs be used for getting into and off of a bed, couch, etc. These can be found at most any pet store. As well, you can each her that she needs to wait to be picked up or put down so that this risk of injury is decreased. More info here: here: stairs: Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated by the website for helping you today.