Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

Our lab just ingested some miracle gro organic choice all

Customer Question

our lab just ingested some miracle gro organic choice all purpose fertilizer.. not sure how much... what should we do and what should we watch for
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Winnie age 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winnie?
Customer: healthy dog.. just had her check up.. no issues
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Winnie. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.
I want to start by letting you know this is not an uncommon situation. It happens a lot. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you. In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me: Exactly how long ago did this happen?Is Winnie otherwise healthy and on no medications?What is the MOST amount you think she might have consumed?Howis she acting right now? I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.
While I await your additional information, I'm happy to let you know that in general products like this are non-toxic. An otherwise healthy dog who eats a small amount (less than a quart for a lab-sized dog) isn't expect to experience any problems other than perhaps a mild upset stomach. Many dogs won't get sick at all. Some develop mild vomiting, diarrhea, and/or appetite loss, but this is usually temporary and goes away on its own after a day or two. You can read more about what to do if Winnie develops an upset stomach on this website: overall, this is very safe stuff for a dog to consume (although it's best avoided). There's no need to take any action at this point in time as long as Winnie is acting normally. The risks of inducing vomiting outweigh the benefits, so that is not advised. Does this help to answer your question at this point in time?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.
I hope this information was helpful to you. Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.