Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Grown black lab ate damp rid it was old and dried up JA:

Customer Question

Grown black lab ate damp rid it was old and dried up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Riley 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?
Customer: She's healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....How long ago did Riley get into it?Did she eat everything, including the packaging?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
15 minutes ago. It was at least a year old and all dried up like a hamburger size. It was scented
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.Because the Calcium Chloride (Damprid) causes ulcer,s I wouldn't try to get Riley to vomit it up. If this were me, I would encourage her to drink a lot of water, and you can feed her a bland diet of boiled white rice and boiled hamburger for the next week or so.Even though the product was dried, it can still cause digestive problems, so offer her about 1 cup of milk to help neutralize the product in the stomach.Then, get her started on some Pepcid AC. (famotidine). A dog Riley's size can have 10mg every 12 hours for 5 days. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any human pharmacy.If you notice any vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia or any other unusual symptoms, then you should have her seen by a vet immediately, but hopefully the bland diet and Pepcid AC will do the trick.I hope this helps.