Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

White lab 3 years old. winces and cries when gets up from

Customer Question

white lab 3 years old. winces and cries when gets up from lying down. and no signs of limping. ate this am and went out and pooped and peed. no vomitting. lethargy and trembling and shaking when i pat his belly. could he of ate something outside and now sick. doesn't seem like a hip or leg injury because walks fine when gets up. hurts him when he tries to get up stairs. so stops and goes lies in corner
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no vomitting and poop had nothing in it when i saw it. belly seems little distended
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry that your guy is not feeling well... Most likely your guy has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in labs because of their conformation and energy. Since he does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when your guy jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as he is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine your sweet guy to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for response. Poor guy just sitting in corner and when I go to get him up I have to left him up. He then walks in and doesn't limp but goes back to same spot. Can this be acute. Iut son has Lyme diagnosis two days ago and we thought maybe that but he gets shot
If your guy has been vaccinated for Lymes, this disease is unlikely. For now, try the aspirin to see if that will have any effect. With this disc issue, he may not be limping since we do not know what nerve supply has been affected. If the aspirin shows no improvement, then take your guy to your vet for testing to know for sure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta