Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is coughing just started today JA: I'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

She is coughing just started today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is 10 and her name is abbey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abbey?
Customer: She has bad legs had two cruciate repairs but nothing else to worry about
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Does she have a harsh cough or soft one?Can she eat and drink normally?Has she been chewing or eating anything unusual (ie toys, chews, plants, etc)?Are her gums pink or pale/white?Any change to her breathing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a harsh cough, only started a day ago , no she hasn't chew anything , her throat is red but she eats ok. breathing is fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** on Abbey's harsh cough that has suddenly appeared, we do have a few concerns. First, if she has perhaps irritated her throat (ie eating grass, hard kibble, eating bits of a chew, etc), then this could cause the cough you are hearing. Otherwise, common causes of see coughing include bacterial upper airway infections (ie kennel cough), parainfluenza and bacterial tracheitis. As well, but hopefully less likely with her sudden onset, we can see coughing with lung disease, heart troubles, and associated with some respiratory parasites (ie lungworm, heartworm).Therefore, with all of this in mind, we do need to monitor her closely. If her signs are mild and since she is otherwise well, you can try her on a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed.Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with her. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving her to cough. Furthermore, if she has a throat irritation, then soaking her kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce her signs.Overall, if her signs are sudden in appearance, then the a bit of throat irritation and our infectious causes would be most likely. Therefore, you can soothe her throat with the above if her signs are mild. That said, if she doesn't settle within a day or so, then it'd be advisable to have her checked by her vet. They can confirm if a bacterial or viral infection is suspect and can also listen to her lungs and heart to make sure these are not playing a role in her cough. Depending on their findings, they can address infectious cases with antibiotics and advise you if there is anything else suspect for Abbey's cough.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )