Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

He is sniffing n licking constantly. He won't let me sleep

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: This is unusual for him.
JA: How old is This?
Customer: Max and will be 10 in jily
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about This?
Customer: Max and will be 10
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. From what you have told me, it appears that your sweet Max is suffering from an allergic reaction that could be due to many things such as fleas, pollen , foods.For now , follow these instructions:Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.1 Give Benadryl at mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. I worry a bit because of max's age, so it would also be good to have your vet run blood work including a thyroid panel since this could be related to a metabolic issue. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****