Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Helloi have a male bichon that had abdominal neutering

Customer Question

hi hello
i have a male bichon that had abdominal neutering last thursday..,
there is red area next to suture line.
is cortisone cream application appropriate?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your boy Harrison . I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. Yes, these red irritation lines are likely due to 'clipper rash'. A small amount of cortisone cream would be ok so long as it was a low percentage cream. A safer option would actually just be a little neosporin. The other thing to ensure here is that Harrison can't lick the wound or this rash. Hopefully you have an elizabethan collar (e-collar) for him, and if you don't please get one of these from your local pet store or vet clinic. If the rash next to his suture line becomes more red or spreads, then please follow up with your vet regarding this at his next post operative check. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harrison. How is everything going?

Pet Doc