Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My pups are 5 days old. Eating well mom eating well. As o keep

Customer Question

My pups are 5 days old. Eating well mom eating well. As o keep them apart between feeding I picked them up and noticed some bright green poop. Should I be worried?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: Mine doesn't work on weekend. What should o do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. I've been breeding rottweilers for over 20 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Your dog's stool can be green for a few different reasons. Generally it indicates feces are traveling through the dog/pups system too fast. Possible causes could be gall bladder trouble, irritable bowel syndrome, a parasitic problem such as giardia, yellowish green could indicate herpes virus, and other problems. Herpes in young pups can be fatal so you want to keep a close eye on them for symptoms of the disease. Giardia or coccidia (protozoan infections) can also cause a greenish fecal matter. Coccidia manifests as mild or severe diarrhea depending on how infected they are. If it is severe, there may be blood and mucous in the stool along with voming and loss of appetitie leading to dehydration You can read about it here: Information on giardia can be found on the following page and symptoms are much the same as coccidia such as diarrhea with possible terrible smell, mucousy stool and sometimes bouts of vomiting. If you continue to see green fecal matter, collect a stool sample and have your vet test it for infections. If you pups develop symptoms of herpes, have them seen immediately. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?