Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Dog was chewing on ant trap JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange

Customer Question

dog was chewing on ant trap
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Athena, she is 10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Athena?
Customer: No she is healthy and up to date on shots. the ant trap was Raid Max
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Regardless of the type of insecticide in the trap, there isn't enough of it to intoxicate a dog. We're actually more concerned about the housing of traps that were chewed and swallowed and which might be difficult to pass through the GI tract. If that hasn't occurred, however, Athena will remain well. In this case the active ingredient is avermectin which in much higher amounts is used as a heartworm preventative and mange treatment in the form of ivermectin.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?